State and Federal Resources
Below is a list of some of state and federal resources that can assist persons with disabilities and their families.
Assistive Technology, Equipment, and Interpreter Services
- Illinois Assistive Technology Project: IATP provides a loaning program on devices including AT Demonstrations, AT Device Loans, AT State Financing, and AT Reutilization for individuals of all ages with disabilities.
- Illinois Deaf and Hard of Hearing Commission: IDHHC is an executive state agency that promotes education and awareness of the legal requirements for effective communication on behalf of people with hearing loss in Illinois. They also provide a statewide interpreter directory and an extensive resource list of testing and equipment providers.
- Illinois Telecommunications Access Corporation: ITAC has been issuing equipment since 1988 with the purpose of providing telephone access to Illinois residents who are Hard of Hearing, Late Deafened, Deaf, Deaf-Blind or Speech-Disabled. ITAC is governed by the Illinois Commerce Commission, a Board of Directors and an Advisory Council that has a member representing your area of the state.
- Illinois State Surplus Property: When property is no longer needed by state government, property is made available next to units of local government (cities, towns, counties, etc.) and non-profit organizations (501c, organizations providing assistance to homeless, food banks, etc.). CMS Property Control is charged with the administration and disposal of all surplus personal property generated by state agencies, boards, commissions, universities, and constitutional office-holders, and excess and surplus property no longer needed by the U. S. Government.
State of Illinois Agencies
- Illinois Attorney General: enforces federal and state laws that protect equal access to buildings, housing, and services.
- Illinois Council on Developmental Disabilities: advocates for the inclusion of people with developmental disabilities.
- Illinois Department of Central Management Services: assists persons with disabilities in pursuing state employment opportunities.
- Illinois Department of Human Rights: investigates charges of discrimination based on disability and other protected classes.
- Illinois Department Of Human Services: provides guidance and resources to people with disabilities and their families.
- Illinois Department of Human Services - Employment First: works with state agencies, service providers, direct support professionals, and advocates to identify ways to better serve individuals with disabilities or mental illness who utilize supported employment services.
- Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs: helps veterans navigate resources and benefits available to them.
- Illinois Secretary of State: provides ID cards, license plates, parking placards, and other resources for people with disabilities.